At home I took the thickest form and the thinnest and put them in small containers. The thinner form I filled with water, the thicker one I poured water around the outside.
After my first lot of experiments in the kitchen I decided that fully submerging the forms in water meant they dissolved too quickly and didn’t look as exciting, so I started a new experiment with the form partly submerged in water and filmed it at short intervals with a timestamp to help me keep track of how long it took for one form to vanish. This test was done with completely bone dry greenware, the experiments I did at home were with slightly wet forms which I only realised once I felt the bone dry ones the next day.
I don’t feel that pouring the water into the form was as effective or exciting as watching the outside of the form dissolving in the water. You need to look top down into the form to see the clay breaking down and it was a little underwhelming.
After the first timed experiment I looked at how long it would take for a form to dissolve on top of a bed of clay from a previous form.
Initially my idea was to include plinths inside the tank to make it more dynamic but I’ve since realised that brings all kinds of issues into play such as hierarchy associated with raising some pots above others or generally in relation to other things.
I’ve settled on placing the pots in the bottom and letting all the sediment build up to raise the pots gradually naturally, rather than placing them on their own plinths.
Once the tank arrived I placed the original forms inside to work out if there was enough space between them for each one to dissolve. I didn’t want the tank to be too cramped, but having too much room around them wouldn’t have been appropriate either. Thankfully I’d picked the right sized tank and was happy with the amount of room around each form.
I placed the forms inside the tank and wasn’t too happy with how regimented they looked but I didn’t want them to be randomly placed in the bottom as I felt that would speak too much of other themes. I needed to keep the formation simple and considered. I thought back to my time in South Korea at the House of Sharing and of my time in The Place of Requiem and remembered the memorials for the women who first publicly testified of their experiences at the hands of the Japanese Army:
More forms made in the ceramics studio.
- One of the molds isn’t releasing the forms as easily, one portion of the plaster is a slightly different texture, I’ll need to sand that section down with some glass paper if it gets any worse.
- One form takes about half an hour to make, and so far I’ve made 33 with two molds and several failures. The molds can’t be used too much, as once they’re too wet they don’t release the forms anymore. I’ve found two to three hours is enough time to work with the molds before they become too wet to continue using. At the start of the new semester I’ll book with Claire to make a few more molds in order to speed up the process, reducing the overall amount of water introduced into the original two molds.
- The slip machine is still producing fairly watery slip, which isn’t necessarily a problem for the size I’m working with, but it is a problem considering how many forms I need to continue making, as this means there’s more water being absorbed into the plaster. Claire was recycling a lot of clay today so hopefully the mixture will be denser soon.
w/c January 22nd
- Fettle all dried forms
- Finish four collections of pots (4×6=24) plus at least six more just in case (30)
- Transport to SOA
- Photograph various display methods
- Finish publication
Add all notes/research so far to blog Sort out the post format for my blog.
‘Remains’ of Friday’s formative assessment display.
– Initially, I overfilled the tank. This was partly because I wasn’t concentrating and because I was doubting the water’s capability if it was shallow. It turns out even in very very shallow water the pieces dissolve a lot more effectively than in deeper water because it takes longer for the pieces to be saturated.
– The tank gets cloudy in the studio because the heating is so high, condensation forms on the inside of the tank. I’m not 100% sure on how to resolve this for the long term; short term the tank can be cleaned carefully with tissue/blue roll but I need to be careful to not leave smear marks on the glass.